Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dominican Identity

Being a Dominican can be difficult in the local and wider Church because often people

1) Don't know the Anglican Communion has religious order 2) Aren’t aware of religious orders that include married persons and 3) Really don’t know about religious orders what so ever.

Esp. for lay brothers and sisters it can be hard for people to understand your decision and what you are and why you are doing it. People often misunderstand and assume this means you are going to become a priest.

Considering the confusion, misunderstanding, and ignorance about religious orders it can be easy to loose a sense of your identity as a Dominican – the fact that you are now Brother so and so or Sister so and so and this is a new identity and calling which gives focus and particular obligations that you did not have before.

So how do you maintain a strong sense of your Dominican identity in the face of all this?

Looking forward to your posts.

5 comments:

Bro. George West said...

Habit, habit, habit-- both clothing and otherwise. The whole systematized framework of prayer and study maintains the identity within; proper dress maintains identity without. Nothing else does as good of a job.

Anonymous said...

Very few of my friends and acquaintances have ever heard of a religious order. I've been asked if I was going to the Dominican Republic to study! If I wore the habit when I taught dance!

After explaining about us and why I chose the Order I give them a printout that I carry in my purse. I took it off the Dominican Life website.

Also, as Br. George said, the clothing.

Anonymous said...

Sr. Jackie said:

The "anonymous" is Sr. Jackie.

crhooker said...

I would have to agree with Br George. I feel different when I am in the habit. I have been able to wear black and white to work as well so that too is a blessing. The prayer and study is an ongoing effort and I try to do each office at the same time and place each day in order to establish that habit better.

I am still working thru what being Dominican means, this list and the novice classes are surely a big help, thanks to you all for your faithful attendance and thoughts here.

Br Carl

BroPhil said...

Systematized framework of prayer and study---Yes! I am still surprised when someone asks and frankly, it's fun to engage in conversation about the Order. Probably the other thing that keeps me anchored right now is the study and getting to know those who came before (my new friends even though they've gone on). Somehow I get strength from them, especially when the going gets tough and/or lonely.