Sunday, December 28, 2008

Feast Day Attendance?

Dominican Brethren,

Our rule indicates that we should attend the Holy Eucharist every Sunday (which occasionally may require going to an extra service if your church doesn’t offer the Eucharist on a particular Sunday, e.g. Lessons and Carols Sunday, Morning Prayer, etc). However, the rule also implies that we should attend the Eucharist on the Major Feast days of the Church.

How have you – or haven’t you – been doing this? This is quite a challenge since many local parishes do not observe the major feast days.

Creative ideas and thoughts about observing feasts day would also be welcome!

I also want to announce that our London novice, Justin Read-Smith and his wife Liz recently welcome their daughter Katherine Grace to the world. Please pray for them!

Looking forward to your posts.

In Christ,

Brother Kevin op

9 comments:

crhooker said...

My parish offers Eucharist on Sunday and Wednesday, each of which I do my best to attend. When out of town I try to find a service. We also have services for Christmas and Holy Week.

As for other feast days, Major or not, I try to use the proper office. Br Christopher (Evans) recently recommended the Anglican Breviary and I am studying it to see if it could be used for these days as well.

BroKen said...

Our parish is very fortunate, our rector (Br.Guy) offers the Eucharist on Sundays, Wednesdays, Fridays and all Feast Days and any other day that he gets a chance to do so.

Anonymous said...

Brother Ken,
You are indeed very fortunate - do some folks come on, esp. on the odd days, if you will?

Brother Kevin op

Bro. George West said...

I do my best to do so, but, because of sickness and other circumstances, rarely attend the Eucharist during the week... just another reminder that I am in dire need of God's mercy.

Anonymous said...

My parish offers the Eucharist each Sunday but does not do so on the major feast days. I'm glad you've asked this question though, because I've located another parish in Birmingham that offers the Eucharist on the major feast days, so I will go there for the next one. I know a couple of church members there, so maybe I'll see some friends too.

BroKen said...

In regards to Br. Kevin's question, it is usually the same people that come to all the Eucharists, but occasionally we are honored by someone new or curious.

Anonymous said...

I am lucky enough to have four chances a week to receive, and these will often also match up with the major days, but not always. However, there is a anglican parish very near my home that will often have a celebration.

Anonymous said...

I have to amend my previous response. The parish I mentioned had a Eucharist on Epiphany but not on Holy Name or other upcoming major feast days as far as I can tell. (They said they offered the Eucharist on major feast days but in fact they only do it on some of them.) So, what is recommended if we don't have a parish nearby that offers the Eucharist on those days?

Anonymous said...

(I mean the other major feast days that don't fall on a Sunday.)